Life

Here’s Why #SayHerName & #BlackLivesMatter Don’t Apply to Korryn Gaines

Enough is enough! When are we going to hold each other accountable for our own actions? Every cause has an effect. So, tell me why we, the Black community, overlooked the fact that Korryn Gaines had a loaded shotgun in her arm and her five year old child in the other as the police negotiated with her for hours?! As she streamed the standoff live on Facebook, some of her followers were encouraging her NOT to surrender. WHY?! The police were there for a reason which was to take her into custody because she had a warrant. Korryn’s boyfriend was in the apartment at the time and also had a warrant. He eventually fled the apartment with the child they shared together after pleading with Korryn to leave with him.

On August 1st Korryn was killed by the Baltimore County police. The exchange in gunfire occurred after Korryn stated that she would kill the police if they did not leave.

Being that Korryn provoked the situation by refusing to surrender then threatening to kill the police officers, does she deserve the #SayHerName or #BlackLivesMatter hashtags? Umm, no. I cannot condone her rebellious actions toward the police. If a person is clearly armed and dangerous, aren’t the police supposed to subdue the individual by any means necessary especially if a hostage is involved? No, Korryn did not have her gun to her son‘s head. However, we do know that she put him in harm’s way by sitting him in front or beside her as she defied the police.

korryn-gaines-and-son

pic courtesy: thesource.com

The #BlackLivesMatter and #SayHerName movements were created to bring awareness and change to the fact that Black people are being unjustly killed by police. Although the loss of a life, a mother is tragic, lumping her in with those powerful movements send mixed messages. A message that insinuates that defiance and violence against the police is acceptable. Korryn was so beautiful yet so troubled. May her soul rest in peace. Please do not compare her situation to the resting souls of Jessica Williams, Rekia Boyd and the other Black women that were actually unarmed and unjustly killed by police.

R.I.P. Korryn

signature

Teni S.

No Comments

piecesofme2016

It almost seems as if the blacklivesmatter movement has become just another trend, to the point where people think its cool to become a martyr. That’s what I was getting from the whole Korryn incident while i watched the video, you cannot tell a 5 year old to fight the police! Even the little boy had enough sense to say that the police officer was actually being nice. Social media is almost becoming detrimental to us a people. I just hope that this increased display of murdered black people doesn’t leave us too desensitised to actually care. As for the people applauding her actions, its disgusting. Black lives matter will only have an effect when black lives matter to black people, because we are still killing each other.

Teni S.

Thanks for your comment!
I couldn’t agree more. I hate when people try to equate an armed Black person being killed by police to injustice. We’ve got to stop attaching #BlackLivesMatter to these cases.

Erica H.

I actually am beginning to shy away from the entire movement because there are too many individuals utiliing this movement as an “excuse” to be foolish with the police. We have rights as citizens and they still have a job to do. There are black officers as well. Resisting arrest is one of the things I’ve seen on a couple videos and these people feel they are justified in doing so simply because they’re black. Wrong answer. It gives bad like to the movement altogether. I just hope people can see the difference in the various situation so all the work of these people standing up for the injustice doesn’t go unheard and shunned in vain. Black lives matter and we (Black people) need to start acting like it. We have to first respect ourselves to gain the respect of others.

Teni S.

👏 bravo honey. You are speaking the truth! I fear that they (white people & others) will start to look at the BLM movement as a joke because we tend to lump the flat out disrespectful & unlawful cases with the true injustices. I remember seeing on the news lately that a black guy took the police on a car chase because “he feared for his safety.” I was soooo disappointed & embarrassed.

Tareau Barron

Thank you for liking our post. I have talked about this issue adnoseum. Black Lives Matter is propaganda and are arm chair activist. Criminals are cloaked within this organization and make it harder for hard working blacks like ourselves to be well ourselves. Check us out on thecouchsports.com. great article and good work

Tareau Barron

I always said it was propaganda. BLM only care about pushing a fake agenda in my eyes. The message is that if someone white kill us, that same white person should know better because we are inferior. That’s what I get from it. Also I would love to see BLM protesting black on black violence. Not a peep. I could get killed tomorrow by my own brethren but there would be no March

It's A Black Girl Thing

Which is so unfortunate that it doesn’t say or do anything about black on black crime. Just last week an 8 year old was killed in a drive-by while she walked down the street with her father. Her father was the target. As seems as if we’re suppose to turn a blind eye to BOB crime when it comes to BLM.

I support what the movement initially started as, not what it is becoming…

Tareau Barron

Yes and yes. We have to start from the root of black on black crime. Whatever people think is the root (slavery, unemployment, segregation, Jim crow, gentrification etc) We still have a choice to make. Alot of us brothas and sistas choose the street life or gang life because they don’t want to be called a punk or square. Rap music glorifies this and we feed into it. I grew up listening to all the best rap artists (even named my sons after 2 dope rappers) but I can honestly tell you, it divides us. Listen to DMX all day, you would want to kill everyone. Listen to the Stylistics, or Marvin Gaye and you would want to love every one. I used to get called square alot growing up because I didn’t sell drugs. I saw what drugs did to my family and I saw the bigger picture at a young age. So when people say things like “I don’t have a choice to pick up this gat, and Rob this dude” It’s a lie. There is a choice we are too scared to do the right thing. Then when these gangs get into turf wars, we are in their cross hairs. I would love to see the BLM movement address this but it will never happen. They protect alot of criminals ya know? If you out doing dirt and I’m out going to work everyday and you get caught up, I’m suppose to support your cause? Like did BLM when you were calling me a square for not working on the block? Sorry for the rant I’m at the gym stretching hahahahaha

It's A Black Girl Thing

Lol at the gym stretching…you make some great points. We have so much work to do as black people. But, it starts at home…

Tareau Barron

Hey hey I’m tall so I need to stretch hahahahaha. Yes we do.

Darryl Walker Jr

Interesting take on the situation! I view it quite differently.

Resistance is justified when the people are occupied. We are living in the afterlife of slavery. Today, there are more black people under the tutelage of the justice system (in prison, parole, probation) than folks who were in enslaved in 1860. There are more black people patrolled and controlled directly by the state today than the folks at the height of the apartheid regime in South Africa.

First and foremost, we need to suspend our ideas of “law and order” and what is considered “justified”. Our political, economic, social, and legal institutions are rooted in white supremacy and anti-blackness. At a fundamental level, whites are innocent, and blacks are guilty. Keep in mind that Africans were “guilty” of being savages – and that was the “justification” for kidnapping them as slaves. All law is white supremacy. All law is anti-blackness.

Bearing this in mind, whenever black people defend themselves – it is unjustified. There is no right to self defense for black people. If you check the historical archive, black people who defended themselves against their masters were often hung for assault.

For centuries, black folks have defended themselves. Just think of the slaves who jumped overboard into the Atlantic. Just think of the black women who killed their own babies so they would not grow up to become slaves.Think of the black women who killed their dirty white slave masters to prevent them from raping and beating them again. The reaction in each of these scenarios on the part of the white world was that the black person was “unjustified” for defending themselves. The word “unjustified” simply means it is in violation of white law.

Korryn Gaines was a black woman in an anti-black, misogynistic world. A lot of the failure to understand her actions is a failure to understand the history of sexual violence against black women. She choose to go out in a blaze of gunfire DEFENDING herself and her child, rather than continue to submit to “law and order”. As a black women, there is no correct answer. She was wrong either way: either she died or stay alive but remained enslaved. She choose freedom through death. And there is wisdom to that.